Monday 4 July 2011

Musical Interlude. Choosing the music.


It's your opening song, like a play or movie, so choosing the
right song is important. It sets the tone for your Wedding.
Muriel famously waltzed down the aisle to ABBA’s “I do I do I do” and while you might not be an ABBA fanatic like Muriel, picking the right song for your walk down the aisle is high on the list of importance when it comes to your big day. 

Your opening song is important as it can set the tone for the day so you want it to be perfect. Now I don’t know about you but my iTunes has a little over 49,000 tracks in it, so, I wouldn’t have a clue where to start. Here’s my thought process on how to pick the perfect song. 

I’ve yet to make a trip down the aisle so I haven’t yet had to choose a song. I’ve always been big on movies and theatre so rather than a “song” for the various moments, I would create a “sound track” (what an awesome idea for a wedding favor, a Wedding CD!).  I would probably choose something by Kenny G, Enya or Moby with little-to-no lyrics, just music.

So I fairly quickly narrowed my list down to 3 artists without really thinking too hard. These are artists that I have liked for a long time, they’re not really “current” or “popular” but then again my music collection isn’t all Lady Gaga and Black Eyed Peas.  It’s important to have your wedding songs reflect you, your groom and your wedding.

If you Google “Wedding songs” you’ll come up with a list of typical songs featured in weddings. To be honest, unless these songs mean something to you, stay away! I’m talking Celine Dion, Shania Twain or “At Last”.

You might have a mental list of songs you love. For example: while I have been writing this entry, I have playing “101 Love Songs” (admittedly it has nothing to do with the blog, it’s on my preferred listening – how embarrassing!) anyway, “The Power of Love” by Jennifer Rush just played and it was the song my Nana walked down the aisle to at her Second wedding. I was the flower girl, it was a very special day for the family and a fond memory. This song will make its way into my day somehow, even if it’s just played during dinner. I’m sure you’ve got songs like this too, so once the ring is on your finger, keep your ears open and write it down! Don’t wait to, because you will forget, write it down as soon as you hear it.

DJs are a popular choice, make sure you know who you're hiring though. There are "Wedding DJs" (Think Adam Sandler's The Wedding Singer). There are also Trance DJs, House DJs, good DJs and Bad DJs. Do your homework, ask for a mix CD to hear their abilities and style.
Some other notable notes for the walk down the aisle:
1. Most songs are over 3 minutes, so unless you’re walking 800m you might want to select a certain part of the song to play, the intro and chorus are popular. If you are hiring a DJ for your wedding, chances are they’re into music so utilize them.
2. Check what kind of sound system (or power) is available at your ceremony venue or location. You can’t just take a CD on the day and hope you can play it.
3. Allocate the job to someone. If you’re not having an MC/DJ at your ceremony, then give someone the job of pushing play and stop during your ceremony to help the proceedings to flow. It’s worth having a pro do it though, if you’re into seamless transitions and not a fan of awkward moments.

End note: if you haven’t seen “Muriel’s Wedding”, please go out and hire it, it’s an Australian classic, absolutely hilarious!

No comments:

Post a Comment